Friday, September 2, 2011

Day Three - Sorry Bob!!!

Avoiding single use or "stupid use" plastic is really hard! Today I bought trail mix in a single serving PLASTIC bag! der. I wasn't thinking! I also bought two bags of smartfood (these bags cannot be good) and a lipton Iced Tea!!!! arghh. I bought all of this mindlessly because I was hungry and thirsty and not thinking. But I redeemed myself later in the day when Bob and I took Chloe to Stop and Shop to buy dinner. We gathered up our food and headed to the checkout. The checker rang us up and the bagger bagged. The bagger bagged! ARHHHHHGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I realized this as Bob and I were pushing a cart full of groceries and carrying a fifty pound four year old who was crying because she "wanted that" (one of seventeen things she asked for) I said "Bob, wait"! so urgently that he stopped on a dime and said, with a look of grave concern, "What is it honey? what happened?" I pointed to the cart and said "plastic." At this point his look of concern turned to a look of frustration. He sighed and said "c'mon hon, we will remember next time." Well, we were still in the store, and I didn't see any reason why these bags couldn't be used by someone else, so I begged him to give me "just a sec" while I dumped all of the food into the cart, returned the plastic bags to the metal holders at a closed register (for fear that they might toss them in the trash if I just handed them back to the bagger) and scooted out the store. Great success- sort of...I looked strange, but at least I avoided the stupid bags!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! And you were right, if you try to give the bags back to the bagger they will just throw them away. Totally counterproductive!

    ReplyDelete